Wednesday, November 12, 2014

"Interstellar" (2014) starring Matthew McConaughey

There is a powerful message in this movie... one which invites us to open our minds to the concept of alternate realities which defy the constraints of time, space, and location. For me, the movie tried too hard to explain the quantum physics of it all, and it didn't quite succeed because it went beyond what I was interested in and so I lost involvement in the movie at crucial times. For example, there is a sequence with a remote-controlled plane which eluded me as to what the scene was trying to establish. If it was trying to establish how passionate McConaughey felt about flying, I got that elsewhere. If it was trying to establish his son's infinite loyalty to his cause, I got that elsewhere too. So this was a wasted interlude for me. The film could have been at least half an hour shorter. Having said all that, the acting is superb on all fronts. McConaughey might just have earned himself another Oscar nom. The premise is brilliant, and while Chris Nolan has proven himself to be an extraordinary director, for me he was too indulgent on this one. Still, because of so many excellent elements, this has to get at least four stars.

IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816692/
Tags: Ellen Burstyn, Matthew McConaughey, Mackenzie Foy, John Lithgow, Anne Hathaway, Michael Caine, Adventure, Sci-Fi

No comments:

Post a Comment